Monday, May 4, 2020

Lots of Projects...

Coronavirus Quarantine is presenting oodles of time to work on projects. 
First up is the sixth step of the Scrap Dance Mystery, to assemble 12 blocks. I had one oops, as you can see in the picture...
In two weeks the final step will be posted, using the HSTs, background, and remaining colored squares.  I am curious about the layout!

On to working on more quilts for the disabled kids going to camp. Someone donated this small flimsy with a cat focus fabric. I had no idea how to make it bigger or what kind of colors to use. 

Digging through my stash, I came across this southwest-themed border fabric. It was used on a church quilt in 2009; there was a lot of fabric leftover. It caught my eye because the colors look so much like the colors in the cat flimsy.

So I added a containment border in teal and then added the final border. Yes, I fussy cut the fabric and then mitered the corners. I enjoy that kind of challenge! 

Another donation was a bag with 12 sampler blocks made in batik fabric, as well as yardage of multicolored-pastel batik that had all the colors of the blocks. I used that for sashing. Now it needed a border. Nothing from my stash or the stash of my friend could match this. I felt it needed a teal border. So I went to Joann Fabrics.

I waited outside in a line for an hour and a half. When I got inside the store, I was shocked at the empty shelves in the quilt fabric section. There were very few batiks, but there was one teal that I thought was just right! It was worth the wait, for the quilt shines!


I found these in the donation bin. It was easy to see how to make this into a quick quilt.

Sew the two pieces together, trim to the correct size, add two borders, and here is the finished quilt. I think it is so sweet; it looks like something a grama would make in her little white cottage!

One last project. I am making quilt kits; I am hoping women in my guild will step up and take a kit to assemble a very simple row quilt for the kids camp. Two are superheros, two are fire engines, and one is a fun cartoon of a bear riding a bicycle.

Linking up today with




1 comment:

BigEeh said...

You are so very creative. You certainly have a gift for color & patterns.