Friday, March 2, 2012

Friday's Flimsy Finish!

Here it is, the Christmas Sampler finally has its borders! The border fabric is a bit on the dark side, but the colors are right on with the colors in the quilt, and it seems to have lost its Hawaiian flavor.
 It turned out really large at 90" wide by 100" long. It reaches floor to ceiling!

Back in December of 2010 I was passing time putting 1 1/2" squares into mini nine patches.  The fabrics came from my mother-in-law; I have been looking for an idea of how to use them.

 I finally saw a block I really liked; it was made up of two fabrics, but I figured it could be done as a scrappy too! So I put one together...
 ...and I liked it! I liked it alot! So I made four more!
 Eventually it will be a queen sized quilt, but it will take a long time! Each block has 46 pieces and is only 9" square. Using such small pieces means taking time to be accurate.

Here is one last little project I have been working on. The fabrics are leftovers from another project..many many triangles left over! I thought this would make a cute wall hanging.
 But I am struggling with that house square. It just does not want to fit right. It may look nice in the above picture, but in reality it has a bubble. See?
I've ripped it out so many times already. At some point it HAS to work, right?!!!

I'm linking up with Susan and her Little Green Quilters at
http://www.blackberrycreek.typepad.com/

8 comments:

Barbara Anne said...

Hi Julie!

What a beautiful Christmas Sampler quilt you've made and the border compliments the center blocks just perfectly.

Love the mini-9 patch blocks you've started making using your MIL's fabrics. It's going to amazing!

Have you heard the phrase "It will quilt out"? That means that little bubbles and such will often be hidden in the quilting so don't fret. In the over-all design of the blocks and fabrics, it probably won't be very noticeable anyway.

Applause, applause!!

Pink-a-Palooza said...

Bubble? what bubble? Like Barb said "it will quilt out" I've been longarming for a year, and quilted on my home machine for years. Don't stress, it looks great, and really should disappear after quilting. :)
You are really making a UFO dent in projects! Congrats
Gael

Lynn said...

The Christmas Sampler is lovely! I really like that block for the nine patches too!

Deb said...

I think the title of your blog "I'm Keeping Busy" sure says it all!! You have been a busy beaver, and everything is so very lovely. And I'm not sure I can tell anything about a bubble in the one you mentioned. Like others said, I'm sure it will be fine.

Donna said...

You have been busy! Love your Christmas quilt ... it is large!
I don't see the bubble! It is adorable with the little house.
Happy quilting!
Hugs,
Donna

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

What a busy bee you've been, Julie. I love the quilt top---and everything. And your new blog header is wonderful. A white dog beside a wonderful pile of dirt. Looks like trouble to me.

Debra Dixon said...

One of the better sampler quilts I have seen--by far!

Love little 9 patches-my favorite block of all time!!

Mrs. JP said...

Your Christmas quilt is stunning. Ohhh,,,I hate it when it bubbles..but it is such a cute little house quilt.