Saturday, October 8, 2011

A Brief Distraction

In late March, a museum in New York City hosted  an exhibition called
Infinite Variety: Three Centuries of Red and White Quilts.
It has inspired many quilters to make red and white quilts;
I am no exception.

I started making what I call 'bow tie' blocks.
If turned the other way, the block is known as a 'spool' block.
 From time to time I pull out a red fabric and
a white fabric from my stash and make a block.
Here is my collection so far...
 Look what happens when I turn them all to spools
and then stack them, offsetting each row.
A very cool effect!
 Each bow tie creates four leftover half square triangle blocks,
so I put those into a 'bear paw' block.
 I love the bear paws!
I think it is fun to get two different blocks from one cutting!

1 comment:

Debra Dixon said...

I really love the interwoven look you have gotten with the spool blocks. Gives them such a sophisticated look!