Sunday, January 11, 2015

Design Wall Monday

In 2013 I participated in the Virtual Quilting Bee (http://www.diaryofaquilter.com/p/the-virtual-quilting-bee.html); sixteen quilt bloggers designed the blocks. I decided to join so that I could use my solid fabrics, playing with color combinations that were unusual to me. Here are my finished blocks.
 
 
It took a long time to decide what to do with them. I first sashed some with gray, but that was very dull. I finally decided to go to extremes--to keep up with the unusual theme-- and this week I surrounded each block with some polka dot stripes!

 
So far so good great! I am loving how the black and white make the colors pop even better than before! Next up will be sashing. I have the fabric picked for that as well; I just hope it adds and does not detract.

And on the Christmas Stars front, I was able to make another nine blocks this week!

 
I am linking up with http://www.patchworktimes.com/2015/01/12/design-wall-january-12-2015/, where many other quilters are linking up their design walls as well!
 

2 comments:

Nann said...

The sampler quilt is very interesting. The black/white sashes do not overwhelm the bright solid colors but they allow the blocks to 'breathe.' Do you have any idea how many variable stars you're going to make?

Anonymous said...

Good job on adding more stars. I like the fabric you used for sashing around the solid blocks.
Terry