Monday, July 25, 2011

Two Quilt Rescues

I went to an estate sale on Friday. The woman who passed away was a quilter, and I found a few things I could use. I returned at the end of the day on Saturday, just to see what was left. Not much!

The pieces of this old hand-appliqued quilt still sat rumpled on one shelf. No one was interested, and I knew it was bound for the dumpster if I did not take it home. I think I paid $4 for it.

All in all, the quilt is in decent shape. I have no idea why three of the applique blocks were cut from the background fabric. Perhaps the ivory was badly damaged or stained. Still, it makes me so sad that it had been torn apart.
I have not seen this particular pattern before; it does remind me a bit of Hawaiian applique.

Here is a close-up of one of the blocks. It measures 24" square. Like I said, it is completely hand-appliqued, and the blocks and borders were hand sewn together. It had never been sandwiched and quilted, but there is discoloration, so I am guessing it was used, maybe as a summer bed topper?
The maker did a beautiful job of the applique process. The stitches are very even and neat. I am impressed!
 Here is the border, where you can see discoloration.
I don't know what I will do with this beauty, but it deserves to be re-assembled. I have no idea how to go about doing that.

Here is a second rescue quilt that I purchased two years ago at a garage sale for $35. It is HUGE, king size. It is completely hand pieced! I have never seen this pattern, either, but I love the optical illusion that is created overall.  You can see the damage; I will be able to repair it by cutting off the far end and using the good pieces to repair the right side and the hole in the center.
 Here is another picture that shows the pattern. It is all inset seams, and they all align beautifully.
 A final close-up of the quilt, showing the colors the most accurately...
This one has never been sandwiched and quilter either. I don't think it has been washed, and I am quite afraid that the red will run terribly!


Mrs. JP said...

Great rescue mission. I'd use fusible interfacing and put those babies back together. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Mama Pea said...

Wow, you have found some real beauties, and for GREAT prices! I can never seem to find those. Good for you. They will be fun to restore and have around! I wonder if you gently soaked that first one with some Oxyclean and a color catcher (just in case that red bleeds), that would take care of the discoloration. May be water stains....