Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Beach Boys 2 sashed

The shadows really show up once the sashing is complete.
At this point the quilt top measures 35 1/2 inches square. I could add the border and it would be larger than the standard crib quilt.
Here is a close up of the border; it is all dog tags with typical dog names! Except for the ones that name the fabric designer (M'Liss) and her websight!

I have always been fascinated with shadow box quilts, with the optical illusions. But I had no idea how easy they are to make. I took a strip of white (1.5" wide) and sewed it to black (10+" wide). Then I cut them into strips 1.5" wide.
I had trimmed my blocks to 8.5", and so I cut a black/white strip at 8.5", then I sewed it to the bottom of the block. The strip for the right side of the block was cut at 9.5" and sewed on.
Now that I know how easy it is, I will be sure to make another shadow box quilt!

1 comment:

Mrs. JP said...

That is so amazing how easy you've made this! I truly looks 3D. So, are you going to add the border? You could use that fabric for the back or make it the border and have a really generous size. Tough decision.