Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Superbowl Mystery Quilt Sew-along

The Seattle Seahawks go to the Superbowl, and I spent the day sewing a quilt top! I am not a 12th Man Fan, so the game did not interest me. Well, I stumbled upon a blog that was hosting a mystery quilt-along for those quilters who would rather be sewing during the big game!
 
I had to choose colors. Hmmm...I belong to a non-guild quilting group, and we were challenged to make a monochromatic quilt, using paint chip cards as a guide. I drew this chip, a bluish purple. 
 
So I dug through my stash of purple fabrics; most of them are on the red-ish purple side...
 
...but I did find a few that matched the chip and that met the fabric requirements of one dark, two mediums, a light, a border fabric and a zinger.
My lightest fabric (second from the right) was not light enough so I used the wrong side and it worked! For the zinger, I used white as it was allowed by the monochromatic rules.

And here is the finished quilt top; it measures 49" square. I think it will need some special quilting in the blank spots, or maybe I could add some applique!

This was my first mystery quilt and it was a lot of fun!
 
To see more mystery quilt finishes, check them out at
 
 
Linked up today with WIP Wednesday at http://www.freshlypieced.com/

4 comments:

Valspierssews said...

What a great design. Your fabric choices look just right. The mystery quilt was a good idea for non football fans.
valspierssews

Debra Dixon said...

Super! that tiny narrow white border is impressive!!

BigEeh said...

I really like that one. I think the design is SUPER and the colors are FANtastic.

Tina Craig said...

That a really nice mystery quilt. Your colors work really well with the design.