This week I pulled out the blocks and remembered why I had put it away. Not only was I tired of it and wanted to work on something different, but there was also this block:
It was so bright that I called it the nuclear block. It screamed "Look at ME" when put with all the other blocks. So yesterday I took it apart and toned it down a bit.
Still bright, but much better! You can see that I did not get some of the pieces lined up perfectly, but I decided this one would just have to stay a bit wonky!
Then there was the block size issue. They all were supposed to finish at 12" square (12.5" unfinished). Not all of mine were the same size.* Grrr.... So before sewing on the sashing, I have to square them up best I can, then be very careful with fitting the sashing on them in just the right places.
Here is one block that is a bit too small. Can you see how I fudged to make it work? Yep, the sashing gets the quarter inch seam, but the block gets more like an eighth inch seam. It does work to uniform the sizes, but it takes a lot of time.
Some blocks have many many many seams along the edge. Then pins become the most valuable commodity on my sewing table!
The sashing is coming along, slowly but surely. I know it will look fabulous when complete; it is worth taking the extra time to measure carefully so all will line up just right!
*Note to self:
In the future, when making a sampler, be very very careful with the seam allowances so that all the blocks end up being the same size! If there are lots of small pieces, use more 'scant' in the seam allowance!
I'm linking up with Susan and other Little Green Quilters at