Friday, January 27, 2012

Binding is complete!

I was determined to do the bindings on the potholders by machine. I used a LOT of pins to hold the turned binding in place, then I stitched it down from the front.
 The first one was rough.... ran out of bobbin thread, then broke a needle, then discovered I did not catch the back binding in the seam. But by the third and fourth potholder, I had the method mastered and now the binding is finished!
 I think they turned out really cute. The polka dot binding makes them pop!
 And I did a few more red and white blocks! Each bow tie is 8" square.
 The bear paws are each 5.75". I make the bow tie block and with the leftover triangles I make the bear paws.
I love getting two blocks for the price on one! I now have 35 of each block, and every red fabric is different. I'll keep going until I run out of reds!

I'm linking up with Susan and other Little Green Quilters as we make headway on our UFO's!

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A bit of weekend sewing

I now have four potholders in the making, pieced and quilted. I am unsure what color to use for the binding.

 A couple more red/white blocks.
It is so nice to make a little progress!

Friday, January 20, 2012

Snowed In!

I live in the Pacific Northwest where we have
been inundated with snow and ice!
Husband and Daughter built the Ogopogo in our front yard...

We have had many visitors to our backyard birdfeeders.
These Varied Thrushes have been hanging
around trying to keep warm and fed.

You would think I would be highly productive
and work on quilting projects, right?

Well, I finished the binding on the
Not-So-Traditional Christmas Zigzag Quilt.
I am still considering this a 2011 finish even thought I
finally got the binding completed a few days ago!

 I am struggling with getting one of the setting
triangles to stand in a straight line with the neighboring
red strip border on my Christmas Sampler Quilt.
It is agonizing; I want to be finished with this top!

I did make a couple of blocks for my red and white quilts...
it is good for me to make something fun
when the frustration is rising.

I am linking up with Susan and her Little Green Quilter updates at

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Just a bit of sewing...the first of the new year

I finally finished the setting triangles on the Christmas Sampler.
I had been avoiding it, as it is a challenge for me to
calculate the size of those corner triangles.
 I have to add the final border, then this top will be ready for quilting!

We took the Christmas tree down today and packed away all the decorations. Dear Daughter just could not resist wearing the tree skirt!